So you want to sew clothes? Learning to sew your own clothes is incredibly empowering! We will be sewing 100 Acts of Sewing Shirt No.1 Pattern which is included with the class. Please read below for frequently asked questions about this pattern and class!
Register for Garment 101, Knits 101 and Knits 201 and/or Garment 201 (for a "Semester" of Garment Sewing!) and receive 10% of the total class bundle with coupon code HANDMADEWARDROBE
-Choosing the correct pattern size
-Reading a pattern
-Fabric prep, layout and cutting
Skill Level: Beginner: You are comfortable with a straight stitch!
Time and Date:
Ages: 16+, 13+ with paying adult
Equipment Needed: We have sewing machines and tool kits availble for your use. If you would like to bring your machine you are welcome to!
Materials Needed: Pattern included with registration! Student responsible 2 - 2.5 yards of light to light midweight woven fabric such as cotton, silk, lawn, voile, charmeuse, crepe de chine or wool crepe (depending on your pattern size). Stripes, plaids and one way designs not recommended for class. We will discuss measurements and fabric in the first class if you want to wait to purchase. Please also provide coordinating thread.
Frequently Asked Questions
What sizes fit this pattern? This pattern is graded for bust measurements 32" - 56".
What if I don't like this shirt/won't wear this shirt? We chose this pattern because of the excellent opportunity it provides to learn basic garment making skills. It may not be your favorite shirt but you will gain skills that you can apply to patterns you prefer in the future.
Why don't you have a men's option? We are looking for one! We have had a difficult time finding a pattern that offers the same simple construction as the Shirt No. 1. We're still looking, but in the meantime you could make this for a friend! (Or for yourself!)
What happened to the Scout Tee pattern you used to teach?
We decided to break Garment 101 down into even more babysteps. The big difference between Shirt No 1 and the Scout Tee is that Shirt No. 1 comes in a wider range of sizes and doesn't include sleeves. Sleeves are now taught in Garment 201.
What if my bust is smaller than 32" or larger than 56"?
Contact us before registering. We may be able to alter the pattern to fit your size.
What if I don't finish in 4 weeks?
Everyone should be able to finish in 4 weeks, however if you don't-- and everyone sews at different speeds so it's possible!-- you are welcome to attend an Open Workshop to finish up.
Will we cover tailoring so this garment fits perfectly?
No, we won't. This class is focused on learning how to read a pattern and construction. Fitting a garment requires you to make several versions of a garment and we don't have time for that in this class. At the end of class we can make suggestions to pattern alterations that will help make the fit better for the next time!
How do I know if the class has sold out?
If the website will allow you to register for it then we still have space!
What if my question isn't answered?
Never hesitate to reach out to us to ask before registering!
Garment 101 (Multiple Sessions Available)
- Your spot is not reserved in the class until payment is made in full.
- All students or their Parents/Guardians must sign a waiver before participating in class activities.
- This class has a 3 person minimum. Class may be cancelled if minimum is not met.
- Hartford Stitch reserves the right to cancel a class at any time. If we do so, you'll be issued a full refund.
- Inclement Weather Policy: We reserve the right to cancel class if we deem that winter weather would make traveling to class dangerous. Every attempt will be made to schedule a makeup for the missed class.
- 100% of class fees are refundable or transferable to another class if you cancel prior to 1 week before start of class.
- No-shows forfeit any exchange or refund.
- The studio is on the 2nd floor accessible only by the stairs. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Please see our complete Policies page for additional information.