**This workshops as been postponed due to COVID-19 closures. Please join our newsletter to be notified when classes and workshops resume.**
Ready to tackle knits? It's really not that hard on your regular sewing machine, especially with this great top designed by our very own Garment Instructor, Sarah Bolton! Sarah took the shirt shape that we loved in previous classes for it's simplicity and redrafted it to be more size inclusive and have a more flattering fit and length.
Join us to learn the tools and tricks needed to sew knit perfectly!
Register for Garment 101, Knits 101 and Knits 201 and/or Garment 201 (for a "Semester" of Garment Sewing!) and receive 10% of the total class bundle with coupon code HANDMADEWARDROBE
- Skill Level: Beginner Sewist. You have taken our 101 class or have similar experience. You know the basic operation of a machine and how to do a straight stitch!
- Date and Time:
- Tuesday, March 10th: 9:30am - 12:30pm with Laura Kasowitz
- Sunday, May 17th: 1pm - 4pm with Sarah Bolton
- Equipment Needed: We have the tools and equipment you need, however you are welcome to bring your own machine if you'd prefer to use it.
- Materials Needed:
- The pattern and instructions will be provided for you in class.
- 2 yard knit fabric at least 54" wide. You can find knits at Affordable Fabrics in Rocky Hill and JoAnns. I suggest starting with a mid- to heavy-weight knit for your first project (cotton jersey, ponte de roma, or sweatshirt knit)
- Please bring coordinating thread.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you sell knit fabric at the studio?
We have a limited selection of Robert Kaufman Laguna Jersey Knit in a few colors. This is a midweight knit that many find easy to work with. It costs $11 per yard and will not be pre-washed before class.
Will we alter the shirt fit?
Unfortunately we don't have the time to get into fit alterations. Sarah has drafted a pattern that fits a wide range of sizes and can help with certain alterations like lengthening the shirt, but the focus of this class is on techniques. She is always available for private lessons to teach fitting.
Do you have a men's pattern?
We have the one dolman shirt pattern (that anyone is welcome to wear!). We do make a shirt in this class but the focus is really on how to work with knit fabric which can be applied to any future knit project of your choosing!
What bust sizes are included in the pattern?
The shirt runs from a 33" to 57" bust.
Sewing with Knits 101
- Your spot is not reserved in the class until payment is made in full.
- All students or their Parents/Guardians must sign a waiver before participating in class activities.
- This class has a 3 person minimum. Class may be cancelled if minimum is not met. Minimum must be met 2 days prior to class/event.
- Hartford Stitch reserves the right to cancel a class at any time. If we do so, you'll be issued a full refund.
- 100% of class fees are refundable or transferable to another class if you cancel prior to 1 week before start of class.
- No-shows forfeit any exchange or refund.
- PLEASE NOTE: Our studio is on the second floor accessible only by stairs.