Have you ever wanted to make your own cozy quilt but had no idea where to start? Now is the time to learn! We'll be making lap sized half square triangle (HST) quilts to learn all the basics including:
- Using a rotary cutter
- Properly measuring quilting cotton
- Sewing quilting squares
- Piecing together a top
- Making a backing
Please note: The morning session meets every week and the evening session meets every other week. There will be "homework" in between classes that must be completed to move on to the next step. It is recommended you have your own sewing machine at home, but if you don't you may rent a machine from the studio for the duration of the class. Please send us an email if you'd like to learn more.
- Skill Level: Beginner. You should be familiar with how to use a sewing machine and keep an even-ish seam allowance.
- Ages: 16+, 13+ with paying adult
- Date and Time:
- Winter- Morning: Fridays, January 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st, and February 7th from 9:30am - 11:30am. Instructor: Laura Kasowitz
- Winter- Evening: Tuesday, February 25th, March 10th, March 24th, April 7th, April 21st and May 5th from 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Instructor: Laura Kasowitz
- Equipment Needed: We have machines and basic tools for you to use. You may bring your own machine to class if you'd like. There will be work in between most classes. If you need to rent a machine please let us know.
- You will also need to purchase a rotary cutter and clear grid ruler (specific information to follow after registration). These are not available to rent.
- Materials Needed: We will send you a materials list after registration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make my quilt larger than lap size?
We recommend that you stick to the lap size for your first quilt as it's a manageable size. Future quilts can be any size you want!
Can I buy the fabric from you?
We can offer you a materials kit. Please contact us for more information
Will I definitely finish my project?
We estimate that most sewers will be able to finish during the time. Of course there are plenty of reasons that may not happen including that everyone sews at different speeds. If you do not finish during the allotted time you are welcome to attend 1 Open Workshop to complete it.
What if I have to miss a class?
We try to be as flexible as possible. Let us know if you have to miss a class and we'll see what arrangements can be made!
What if my question isn't answered?
Please email us! We're happy to provide you as much information as you need.
- Your spot is not reserved in the class until payment is made in full.
- All students or their Parents/Guardians must sign a waiver before participating in class activities.
- This class has a 3 person minimum. Class may be cancelled if minimum is not met. Minimum must be met 2 days prior to class/event.
- Hartford Stitch reserves the right to cancel a class at any time. If we do so, you'll be issued a full refund.
- 100% of class fees are refundable or transferable to another class if you cancel prior to 1 week before start of class. Registrations cancelled after this date are not eligible for transfer or refund.
- No-shows forfeit any exchange or refund.
- PLEASE NOTE: Our studio is on the second floor of a building accessible only by stairs.