Learn how to make a beautiful hand-sewn journal in this one-day workshop with guest instructor Laura McLelland! The best part? All proceeds outside administrative costs will go directly to Unifed Theater in West Hartford. A $15 material fee will be due to the instrcutor at the class.
In this workshop, students will learn to make a classic multi-signature book with a sewn Coptic binding. Students can bring their own book covering or choose from a variety of fine papers and fabrics we will have available. After creating the covers, students will learn how to make signatures, prep the covers and pages for binding, and sew a Coptic stitch. Students will leave with their own one-of-a-kind journal ready for filling with sketches and ideas for future projects.
Unified Theater is a fully inclusive, student-led theater education program where kids with and without disabilities come together as equals to write and produce an original theater performance. Founded at Conard High School in West Hartford in 2002, it has grown into a national program in schools all over the country, serving thousands of students of all abilities each year. In 2018, Unified Theater became a part of Kids Included Together, the national leader in disability inclusion training and support. The goal of Unified Theater and KIT is to create a world where inclusion is real and every child feels welcome. Learn more at www.kit.org/unifiedtheater.
- Date and Time: Sat, 9/21 from 9am - 1pm
- Skill Level: No experience necessary.
- Equipment Needed: We have machines and tools available for your use!
- Materials Needed:
- Optional: You may provide your own cover material. Details available upon registration.
- $15 material fee due to instructor at start of class.
About Laura McLelland:
Laura is a fiber arts lover who has worn many hats over the years. She got her BFA in Arts Education with a concentration in Fiber Arts from Syracuse University and taught elementary art and high school photo. She also led visual arts programming for the Joan Mitchell Foundation and helped develop an artists’ space in North Brooklyn. She led Unified Theater for 4 years as CEO and is currently the Managing Director, New Ventures for Kids Included Together. Laura’s artistic practice has always been focused on sewing and fiber arts and over the years she has done a little bit of everything (including sewing, quilting, bookmaking, weaving, print making, and even basketweaving). She is currently working on her knitting skills with Amy at Hartford Stitch! Laura is a lover of all things books and has been making her own for 20 years.
Please note: there are no refunds on cancelled guest teacher workshops. You may transfer your registration to a friend.
- Your spot is not reserved in the class until payment is made in full.
- All students or their Parents/Guardians must sign a waiver before participating in class activities.
- Class time is estimated on the time it would take an average student to complete the project. You may finish quicker or you may take longer. We will do our best to accomodate extra time needed, either with an extended class or a spot in another class time.
- This class has a 3 person minimum. Class may be cancelled if minimum is not met. Minimum must be met 2 days prior to class/event.
- Hartford Stitch reserves the right to cancel a class at any time. If we do so, you'll be issued a full refund.
- 100% of class fees are refundable or transferable to another class if you cancel prior to 1 week before start of class. Registrations cancelled after this date are not eligible for refund or trasnfer.
- No-shows forfeit any exchange or refund.
- PLEASE NOTE: Our Studio is on the second floor of a building without elevator access.